Hi Ulrich,

> So on the driver side, PKT and ODI drivers fade out, which only
> leaves NDIS2.
And packet driver over NDIS

> Which means we are stuck with MS Client / LAN Manager
> Client. Unless there is some new free networking software for DOS.
this is unrelated.

NDIS (or packet driver) is a network driver (layer 2)
MS client is a protocol handler (layer 3/4), which is something entirely
different

> Concerning applications, you mention that instead of using MS Client,
> applications could directly talk to NDIS.

> This would make things a lot more easier. At the moment I use MS
> Client's protman (PROTMAN.DOS, PROTMAN.EXE) to configure a) the NDIS
> driver of the card and b) the free DIS_PKT shim and then MS Client's
> NETBIND.COM to bind these two. Pretty complicated, just to use a NDIS
> driver as packet driver, just to use Arachne...
Teach DIS_PKT to talk directly to NDIS, and you are done.
probably easier (and much more useful) then teaching Arachne NDIS

> Wishlist (it's nearly christmas, OK?) Let Arachne directly talk to the
> NDIS driver. Or better: Let there be a free external TSR TCP/IP kernel
> (stack) that communicates directly to the NDIS driver, so everything
> else could use this kernel.
Pointless. Noone will ever talk to this (hypothetical) TCP/IP kernel
this millenium ;)

> And, of course, a free DOS smbclient.
don't hold your breath ;)

Tom