I concur about the commercial virus scanners.  I repaired someones XP system
yesterday.  Commercial scanners detected 2 rootkits, 6 viruses and 2 trojans.
I ran ClamWin and it missed all of these.  I like ClamAV because of its low
overhead.  F-Prot would still work on older viruses floating around out there
and since its non-resident its not a bad secondary scanner.

If its a dual boot machine, you can scan the DOS partition with a Windows,
Linux or BSD virus scanning utility from within the other operating system.  If
it only runs DOS but has enough memory, you can try scanning with a live Linux
security CD (check distrowatch.com).