> I am somewhat confused. Freedos runs on fat32; does this mean that
> freedos
> can run any 32 bit console app?

No. The "32" in FAT32 refers to some data format on the disk; FAT32
support doesn't require a 32-bit operating system.

> In fact, how much ram can freedos access? I have usually tended to also
> include djgpp in a freedos install;
> djgpp includes cwsdpmi,etc., and provides an environment that can run 32
> bit
> apps. I never thought about
> the 'stock' freedos(if it even has dpmi by itself).

If you remove both the HDPMI and CWSDPMI programs, FreeDOS doesn't provide
DPMI. (The actual FreeDOS kernel (KERNEL.SYS) doesn't know anything about
protected mode.)

> This was prompted by
> recent mention of the dos hx extender.
> So, without djgpp in the picture, how much ram can freedos access,

Depends whether you're talking about only KERNEL.SYS or the kernel plus
XMM (HIMEM.EXE) and probably EMM (EMM386.EXE). The kernel itself accesses
only real mode memory, the first binary Megabyte. XMMs and EMMs provide
ways for real mode (16-bit) DOS software to access memory up to 64, 256,
512 or 4096 binary Megabyte (value depends on the driver) but for data
storage only.

> and how much can be accessed with
> djgpp installed(at least when running from djgpp's bin directory)?.

DJGPP uses a DPMI server. The DPMI server usually accesses memory using
the XMM or EMM. Thus DJGPP can usually access as much memory as real mode
DOS software that uses the XMM or EMM. However by using DPMI this memory
can be used as storage for both data and code.

Christian