Michael Horvath wrote:

> Option #2 (the default, and the one that doesn't work) results in the
> following error:
>
> "Illegal instruction occured.
> CS=FFFF IP=EEC3 SS=D0B4 SP=0004 ES=0070
> ...etc...
> ...etc...
> Aborting program
> EMM386 - unable to continue - Please reboot=xxxx"

Ben Armstrong ("a Program manager on the core virtualization team at
Microsoft") recommends the following for MS-DOS on
<http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2004/10/21/246136.aspx>:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM I=B100-B7FF I=C600-C7FF I=CC00-CFFF
I=E600-EFFF FRAME=D000

I also recommend you to replace EMM386 with
<http://www.japheth.de/Jemm.html>, which is more advanced and more stable.

> I am able to boot to the command prompt using options #1 and #3, but am
> having trouble running software. For instance, I am trying to install
> the video game "Out of this World", but receive the following errors
> when running the installation program:
>
> "Line #1 in batchfile 'A:\INSTALL.BAT' too long"

Please post the first line of "A:\INSTALL.BAT".

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/