k...@comcast.net wrote:
> Hi Mike:
>
> I use "VFD" to do this under Windows.  (It's easy under Linux).  See
> http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html.  You can mount the
> image as a floppy drive and copy files to/from it, format it, etc..
>
> The other programs I know about cost money...
>
> Good luck.
>
> Mark Bailey

Awesome! This worked perfectly!

I am now able to read/execute all my floppy-based programs. The only
issue that I can foresee is that certain rare floppies (old Microsoft OS
installation disks for instance) are formatted/compressed in atypical
ways as a form of copy-protection. I still have my Windows 3.11 disks,
and remember that they were formatted to store more than 1.44MB. IIRC,
simply copying from one disk to another didn't work last time I tried.

One last question: how do I test whether the Sound Blaster settings are
configured properly? I'm using the default settings created by the
FreeDOS installation program, and I have the sound card enabled in
Virtual PC, but I am not hearing any sounds in the game I just
installed. Does FreeDOS come with a sound test utility? There is no
documentation on the game's installation disks.

Thanks again!

-Mike