Michael Horvath wrote:

> ways as a form of copy-protection. I still have my Windows 3.11 disks,
> and remember that they were formatted to store more than 1.44MB. IIRC,
> simply copying from one disk to another didn't work last time I tried.

You're wrong. ;-) Windows 3.x is OK, but Windows 95 used DMF
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_Media_Format>). According to
<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Christoh> (in German) DMF is
based on FDFORMAT by Christoph H. Hochstätter, who worked for Microsoft
from 1993-2006.

> One last question: how do I test whether the Sound Blaster settings are
> configured properly? I'm using the default settings created by the
> FreeDOS installation program, and I have the sound card enabled in

FreeDOS' BLASTER settings are misleading, because many cards also need
some kind of driver, setup tool, or enabler.

So you need <http://www.google.com/search?q=sbbasic.exe>.

> Virtual PC, but I am not hearing any sounds in the game I just
> installed. Does FreeDOS come with a sound test utility? There is no
> documentation on the game's installation disks.

Many games are nice sound test utilities, e. g., Doom Legacy or Kraptor.
 Both can be found in fdfullcd.iso or via Google.

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/