Maybe someone here knows;
the command line dir format in XP NTVDM is long file name, or NT style. The
older non lfn or dos format(8+3) is another way; but they both list the
number of files and the number of directories separately.
   Now when I compile a c program and either use 'system()' to do:
"dir>t.txt", *or even use 'system()' to call a bat*, the format is
different, with ALL the dir entries listed together as files! Does djgpp/gcc
incorporate
bits of some other dos(not freedos/not ms dos)? Also, if in NTVDM, where lfn
is used, the first time I use 'system', the format changes to this weird
format and stays that way until the program terminates.
I would have thought you had to  *make* the compiler turn on 8+3, but it
does it automatically. Richard Klein wb2...@gmail.com.