On 5/31/2011 2:23 AM, Marcos Favero Florence de Barros wrote:
> Hi Ulrich, Michael, others,
>> Now that mTCP is Free Software, I think the next version of
>> FreeDOS should focus on getting basic networking abilities.
> That's wonderful news :-)
>
> Are you also contemplating networks for sharing files, i.e., a client-
> server scheme on which a database could operate? (I use DataPerfect.)
>
> Marcos

There are a lot of possibilities.  I had some ideas for a TSR that would
present a new DOS drive letter and use a machine elsewhere on the
network to provide the actual storage, either in the form of a virtual
hard drive or through SMB.  It would use the DOS network redirector
interface which is not documented by Microsoft, but there are some books
and sample code around.  But that code is quite a bit different in
nature than any of the mTCP code that I have written, so it has not been
started yet.

Part of my making the code open source was based on the realization that
I just don't have the time to do it all.  Hopefully I can help other
people get up to speed on DOS networking so they can be productive.

Mike