I think his point is that even the GPL can be too restrictive for some people's
tastes.  There are other, less-restrictive licenses such as Apache.  When I do
some code, I normally put essentially a public-domain license that says "you
can do anything you want with my code".  I don't expect that anybody will be
making money with it, but if they do, that's fine with me.  The won't be able
to patent it since the fact I already released it makes it prior art, so they
can't restrict me from doing more with it as I see fit, so I haven't lost
anything.