On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Michael B. Brutman wrote:

> On 6/2/2011 1:42 AM, Willi Wasser wrote:
>>> Some developers may not be too happy
>>> about the license choice, especially
>>> those who would like to grab your code
>>> and try to make money from it by making
>>> it part of an unfree software.
>> Let's be serious! Is there still a market for any kind of DOS out there?
>> Does it have any commercial value out there? Can you still make such an
>> amount of money with it, that it's worth to struggle about licensing issues?
>>
>> For me it's a hobby. A little bit like those poeple who still operate steam
>> railways nowadays. And it may be an attempt to show "the world" how else
>> computers could be and that there is a difference between "technical
>> progress" and the "latest fashion". Many of my programs are such that i
>> should have written them fifteen years ago but i didn't back then due to
>> various reasons. I am really not afraid that someone else could get rich
>> with my software, my experience is rather that nobody really cares. So what?
>
> I've had some commercial inquiries into mTCP in the last two years.  DOS
> is out there and there are people still supporting it.  Obviously not in
> large corporations, but it is out there.
>
> Networking is particularly interesting now with broadband connections
> being more widespread.  Why use modems and dialup when you can transfer
> data much faster and more reliably with FTP?  I'm seeing a small
> movement toward people FTPing data from store locations to a central
> location instead of using modems.
>
> Like you, for me it is a hobby ...  hobbyists are my first priority.

I've taken several gigs servicing video kiosks in physicians' offices.
These things consist of an LCD video display hung on the wall with a PC
screwed to the back.  They use a POTS modem to call in and update
themselves rather than use the office's network.  They share the fax line.

--
David Griffith
dgri...@cs.csubak.edu