Hi,

Last year I wrote about a problem with 16-bit 2039 kernels in portable
computers: ChkDsk would report errors, and wouldn't even run.

I later found that the 2039 32-bit kernel did not produce these errors, so
I started using it in my two portables (IBM ThinkPad and Compaq Armada),
and the errors never occurred again.

No such problem had ever happened to me in desktops; it was restricted to
portables.

So much for last year.

Now I downloaded kernel 2040 and began to use the 16-bit version in my
desktop. Surprisingly, it has produced the same kind of error seen last
year in portables. Here's a sample of the ChkDsk (version 0.9.2)
messages:

  \FDOS\HIMEM is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\JAPHETH is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\JEMM is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\USB is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\HELP is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\NLS is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\DIVERSOS is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\UIDE is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\INI is a directory without '..'
  \FDOS\ESCONDER is a directory without '..'
  \RECURSOS
  \RECURSOS doesn't contain an '.' as first entry
  \RECURSOS\AAAAAAAA.AA2 is a directory without '..'
  \RECURSOS\AAAAAAAA. AA is a directory without '..'
  Error accessing the volume

DosFsCk runs normally, and does not find any fault with the file system.

I also tried kernel 2040 16-bit in one portable (ThinkPad), and the same
errors happened.

In short, this is the same story as last year; the only difference is that
now it happens in the desktop too.

My desktop computer is a Pentium 133 MHz with 128 MB memory.

Marcos

Marcos Favero Florence de Barros
Campinas, Brazil