Am 08.10.11 19:54, schrieb Rugxulo:
>> It would be really good if a helpful FreeDOS developer could add FDAPM
>> awareness to more important programs in FreeDOS.
> I assume the shell would benefit from this the most, if not already.

The shell has no problem. CPU usage is normal (4%) if FDAPM is
running, which is the default in FreeDOS. I often work with a nc
clone, so finding out about the option in doszip was very helpful. I
also replaced FreeDOS Edit with Pedit [1] which is freeware (but
unfortunately not open source).

> Perhaps you can manually configure your Mac OS X to "power saver"
> (decrease or disable one of the cores) at those times?

If I leave FreeDOS running in VirtualBox with a not FDAPM aware
program like FreeDOS Edit, after 30 minutes OS X will pop up a nice
half transparent window. It tells me that my computer needs now to be
shut down and that I should push the power button long enough to do
so. There is no other option. It's the Mac version of the BSOD.

> There really is no perfect answer as modern hardware is just too
> powerful to run without a fan.

If the problem meant that just a fan is running, it would be cool with
me. But I doubt that a CPU running _constantly_  at 100, even at 40%
is such a good idea. I mean even when I open a large picture with
Photoshop, CPU usage goes up to 40 only for a second and then stays at
6 or 7 percent.

I will do some more tests if the problem occurs on my old laptop with
Windows XP and with Ubuntu as well.

regards
Ulrich

[1] http://www.goldshell.com/pedit/