Hi,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Alain Mouette <ala...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Usefull part bellow:

Cooll ...

> Em 18-10-2011 20:33, Rugxulo escreveu:
>>
>> BTW, call me naive, but does that above line even give you any UMB
>> space?? If not (and NOEMS), why use EMM386 at all?? (Just use XMS.)
>> :-/
>
> Other things did not work anly with XMS, among other things emm386 puts
> the machine in protected mode, this helped something...

Eh? That would be weird. Hmmm, now that I think about it, I think
CWSDPMI (and/or other DPMI hosts) can't handle fragmented XMS (or hog
it all for themselves), so shelled out apps don't have anything to
use. Perhaps you're relying on that? In that case, yes, the 4 kb pages
help, oddly enough. Otherwise it's not so recommended (esp. since EMS
isn't as widely used in most "modern" DOS apps), as you probably
already know, esp. regarding DPMI 1.0 extensions and CWSDPMI r7.

> And es, you are right, it gave me no UMB, which in that situation is
> just a minor annoyance. My program is 32 bits so it does not need much
> lower memory.

DJGPP, perhaps? If OpenWatcom, you could (should) try a different
extender (DOS/32A or Causeway).

I guess UMBPCI is out of the question??

> I tried but could not find a range to exclude that worked and would
> leave me some UMB :(

I find that hard to believe. But luckily FreeDOS is pretty efficient
anyways (at least with XMS available).