Eric Auer-3 wrote:

> I find it a very good idea in USB drivers to support the ASPI API so other
> drivers and client apps can use
> that to access the drives in question :-)

I disagree.  ASPI and INT 13h are essentially competitive technologies, not
complementary.  If a disk can be accessed via one of the two methods, the
other method isn't (or at least shouldn't be) necessary.  Implementing both
methods for the same disk is a waste of resources.

However, in the particular case of DOS, I think the "preferred" method, by
far, is INT 13h (at least in the case of DASD/hard/flash drives).  There
simply aren't very many ASPI utilities for DOS, and likely never will be.
All of the "common" low-level DOS utilities that everyone is already
familiar with (FDISK, NTFS drivers, caching programs like UIDE and LBACACHE,
etc.) require INT 13h.

Eric Auer-3 wrote:

> Once an "ASPI to block device driver" is loaded, FORMAT should work as
> well. As said, no free open driver for the ASPI to block connection exists
> yet, but it seems to have relatively low complexity.

I think that's true for high-level formats (the kind done by FORMAT).
Low-level formats, though rarely needed these days, do require INT 13h or an
ASPI-specific utility.

At least in DOS, I don't see where any value is created by adding an ASPI
interface if an INT 13h interface already exists.  The reverse is not true,
however.