Op 1-3-2012 23:41, nweissma schreef:

> your instructions don't say how to 'reboot' .. being a noob, i tried
> entering "reboot" -- and it seemed to work -- mentioned something about
> "warm reboot" -- and then /hung/. how can i get passed this point?

There are various ways to reboot:
* press powerswitch on your machine, twice I guess :)
* press reset button on your machine
* press control, alt and delete keys on keyboard simultaneously
* use some software to reboot the machine.

There are many programs that can perform reboots. FreeDOS by default
provides FDISK and FDAPM for this:
* FDISK /REBOOT
* FDAPM WARMBOOT

Most convenient would be if the shell or a memory driver would provide a
reboot/restart/reset command, but alas.

You might be able to fix this issue permanently on an installed FreeDOS
on your machine by replacing

"ALIAS restart  = fdapm warmboot"

by

"ALIAS restart = fdisk /reboot"

hope that helps.

Other issues were with the keyboard driver, requiring /NOHI as well as
an issue with HIMEM/EMM386 combined with DEVLOAD /H , which as
workaround can be fixed by removing the (first) /H part in
autoexec.bat's DEVLOAD line (used for UIDE if I remember correctly).

Bernd