Hi all,

mateusz (mate...@viste-family.net) wrote:

> An alternative would be to distribute not the application/program itself, but
> just a small *.torrent file... ;)

I wonder if it would really all that much of a risk if we post links
of copyrighted programs (which are already hosted on other
websites/FTP servers).
For most users, links would be much easier than torrents.

I am not familiar with the laws. Would linking to a pirated software
be considered a copyright violation or "aiding and abetting a crime"?
Anyhow, I would be very surprised if someone tried to prosecute us for
posting a link over a DOS-era program that is hosted somewhere else.
Seriously, what are the chances?

-------------------

Jim Hall (jh...@freedos.org) wrote:

> Probably the FreeDOS wiki would be the best place for this, since that's
> already there and an obvious place to have descriptions of legacy DOS
> applications.

Absolutely. Wikis are very convenient. What about a "Software Listings
and Reviews" section of the wiki?

--------------

Eric Auer (e.a...@jpberlin.de) wrote:

> Recommending the best could be done without mention
> of places for downloads, so some sort of review-of-
> DOS-classics could probably be done by FreeDOSers.

"Recommending the best" was actually the core of my proposal. Yes,
even without hosting the programs or linking to them, a simple list of
the best programs for each category is very useful. Finding the
programs is so easy these days, with Google...

Please, let us not this idea die.

Who is interested in working on the wiki-based "Software Listings and
Reviews" project? I am willing to cooperate, in the non-games area.

I think the first step would be to define the broad categories, and
their subcategories. We could get inspiration from other websites
(simtel, tucows, etc)

Alex