Well I would say this about hardware.
I began using dos in 1988, when I first came to computers.
It is now 2012, and I am still using it.
My experience has personally been that people have created ways to use dos
with hardware as it changes, no reason for that to stop any time soon.
I am not talking specifically about freedos, I do not use it.  However
enhanced Dr dos is a fine example of dedication, as is the work of Bret
and those who write mpxplay,
even on little things.
just my two cents,
Karen