Ralf,

Apologies for my previous "reply", which was not a reply, only my having
hit Opera's "send" button by error!

>> Cannot answer on all subjects, but re: disk/CD/DVD drivers, I am NOT
>> overly optimistic!   Intel/Microsoft want us all to "buy into" AHCI,
>> and they may have started "ordering" mainboard vendors to omit SATA/
>> IDE logic from their BIOS routines.
>
> Do you have a source for this statement?

No, I do not.   However, having seen the way Intel forced VESA and
AGP out-of-business (to name only two), one can "expect" Intel has
its guns aimed against SATA, as well, in favor of AHCI.   Intel is
in business to sell-Sell-SELL new chips, after all!

> Sorry, but this completely contradicts the latest "Ivy bridge"
> chipset just released, which includes 6 SATA/eSATA ports...

Well, I would say "Saints be Praised"!   Perhaps I am not the only
one who regards AHCI as a big waste-of-time.   Or money -- Is this
new Intel chipset intended to be a "low cost" model?   I will wait
to see if Intel later releases an "Ivy Bridge" that uses AHCI, and
if so, which one (SATA or AHCI) "prevails" in the marketplace.

Jack R. Ellis