Only indirectly applicable, but I ran across this web site by accident the
other day:

http://lspppacm.narod.ru http://lspppacm.narod.ru

Not tested or anything (at least by me), but lets you create a packet driver
using a PPP link over a USB-attached modem.  Is at least interesting, if not
useful for a few people.