Hi,

I have a couple of friends who would like to run DataPerfect
databases in their Linux and Windows computers.

   -- Linux: I tried DosEmu, but could not make it work
      correctly with the accents (diacritics) of the Portuguese
      language. Don't know if the problem is keyboard- or
      display-related. I experimented a lot with the DosEmu
      configuration file and FDConfig.sys, but with no results
      so far.

      Is DosEmu actually capable of working with Portuguese
      diacritics and supporting a standard Brazilian keyboard in
      the first place?

      And if DosEmu can't do it, would dual boot (Grub) be a
      good idea? I read the announcement in July that Grub 2.00
      supports FreeDOS.

   -- Windows: Has the same problem with diacritics. I suppose
      there is a way of configuring that, but I'm not overly
      anxious to start struggling with Windows.

      Again, would dual boot be a good idea? If so, what could I
      use? Metakern?

My personal preference would be dual boot, but I wonder whether
it would bring its own problems. Those are other people's
computers, which I don't want to mess up.

Marcos

Marcos Fávero Florence de Barros
Campinas, Brazil