I noted that FDNPKG is using WatTCP - I don't see that as a problem.
While I prefer mTCP and I think it has many advantages (speed, size, bug
fixes, etc.) WatTCP works well enough and people are comfortable with
it.  I also have a slight bias, so I am trying to be objective. ; - 0

The "offline" repository problem seems as though it should be easily
handled - if the TCP stack does not initialize, it should return a bad
return code.  That way the main program can continue if desired.  mTCP
does this correctly - is the WatTCP program doing something anti-social
like calling exit and killing the program outright?

Regarding the makefile errors - I do not compile in DOS.  My preferred
DOS machine is an 80386DX-40 and compiling using OpenWatcom crushes that
machine.  It is far more productive to work in Windows or Linux and
cross compile for 16 bit DOS.  I was unaware that there was a problem
with the makefiles - I am willing to simplify them to make them work
with OpenWatcom under DOS if there is a need, but this was the first
time I have heard that there is a problem.  (I am also willing to modify
FDNPKG to use mTCP as an experiment if there is a possibility that it
might use mTCP long term.)

Mike