Hi,

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> At 05:12 PM 1/9/2013, Louis Santillan wrote:
>>>An interesting historical note, early versions of the FreeDOS kernel
>>>(DOS-C kernel) were portable to the 68k architecture. See
>>>(<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Villani>http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Villani).
>>
>> Well, you noticed that in that reference, it also clearly states:
>> "This move to a completely different target platform, while losing
>> binary compatibility with existing applications,..."
>
> Which is your fundamental problem.  Even if you move DOS to a new
> architecture, what do you run under it on that platform?  There isn't
> anything, and there isn't a lot you can do with DOS all by itself.

You'd have to port stuff to it. The easiest would be "strictly
conformant" ANSI C stuff (or similar), just a recompile away. If you
add a POSIX layer (like many do, and even PatV briefly considered for
future endeavors), you get that too. So you could recompile things
like gcc, vi, sed, awk, etc. Other older "legacy" stuff would have to
run under an emulator (a la AROS).

It's not as useless or impossible as it seems, but then again, I don't
expect this to happen (any time soon or if ever ...). "Just use Li^H^H
... POSIX" (sigh).