At 04:15 PM 1/9/2013, Michael Robinson wrote:
> > Most embedded processors (that are still actively produced) are
> > 32-bit. Anyways, I don't think FreeDOS qualifies, at least not for
> > 8-bit (AVR??) ones.
>
>PIC16F505, PIC16F1938...  these are microchip baseline 8 bit
>microprocessors intended for embedded use.  Yes microchip offers
>32 bit processors, but one often doesn't need them unless USB or
>ethernet is required for the application at hand.
>
>It would be interesting to port Freedos to something other than the
>ia32 architecture.

And what you are going to do with such a "port"?

Sorry, if you (try to) port FreeDOS to anything other than x86, you
simply don't have DOS anymore.

Beside that those micro controllers won't run much more than very
task specific software, mainly due to very limited stack and RAM
space on those chips, certainly not on any of the 8 bit ones.
A PIC16F505 has 1024 12bit "words" (1.5KByte) of program (flash)
memory and a full 72 bytes of RAM. And a PIC16F1938, though it has a
full 28KByte of program (flash) memory, it still has only 1024 bytes of RAM.

Good luck trying to run anything that would even remotely resemble
"DOS" (as in MS/PC/DR/FreeDOS) on it...

Ralf