On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, you noticed that in that reference, it also clearly states:
>>> "This move to a completely different target platform, while losing
>>> binary compatibility with existing applications,..."
>>
>> Which is your fundamental problem.  Even if you move DOS to a new
>> architecture, what do you run under it on that platform?  There isn't
>> anything, and there isn't a lot you can do with DOS all by itself.
>
> You'd have to port stuff to it. The easiest would be "strictly
> conformant" ANSI C stuff (or similar), just a recompile away. If you
> add a POSIX layer (like many do, and even PatV briefly considered for
> future endeavors), you get that too. So you could recompile things
> like gcc, vi, sed, awk, etc. Other older "legacy" stuff would have to
> run under an emulator (a la AROS).

> It's not as useless or impossible as it seems, but then again, I don't
> expect this to happen (any time soon or if ever ...). "Just use Li^H^H
> ... POSIX" (sigh).

Neither useless nor impossible, but who will bother?  There are simply
too few folks with a need for it.  It might happen a bit like Unix
did, where some of the commands were programmers at Bell Labs
scratching personal itches because *they* wanted a tool that did that
and could create one.

But while you can arguably do useful work (if you're a programmer, at
least) on a bare bones Unix system with the standard utilities but
*no* third party apps, DOS isn't in the same league.  What can you do
with *only* DOS and *no* apps?  Not enough.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519