Hi. I got all four copies of this email that you crossposted to the
FreeDOS lists. Please don't spam.

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Евгений Нежданов <copperm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, dear FreeDOS community members! I please answer all to my questions:
> 1. You want to have in the FreeDOS distribute more powerful text editor as
> standard text editor?
> 2. These editor must be only 8086 or can be 80386 (8086 machines used only
> by nostalgy value by museum staffs)?
> 3. Editor must be written on the Pascal or BASIC language? I convinced that
> the C language is does not work properly with the strings.

From the FreeDOS Manifesto, please use C or ASM for programs that
replicate MS-DOS functionality.
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=FreeDOS_Manifesto>

> 4. Editor must be have:
> 4.1. Calculator;
> 4.2. ASCII table;
> 4.3. Inbuild cyrillic font;
> 4.4. Support to external fonts;
> 4.5. Support the copy/paste;
> 4.6. Support the block selection;
> 4.7. Support the line selection;
> 4.8. Support the paragraph formatting;
> 4.9. Support the change case of the selected text;
> 4.10. Have a inbuild BASIC language interpretter;
> 4.11. Calendar.

I don't see why a simple text editor needs to have a calculator, ASCII
table, BASIC interpreter, or calendar. Start with a user-focused
design, and ask "What does the user need?" There's a reason that EDIT
in MS-DOS 5 was so simple - it made it easy for people to edit files,
without having to know a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. Programmers
often use a different editor for specific programming tasks (for
example, I often use Emacs to write code) but a simple text editor
suitable for "average" users with "typical" knowledge doesn't need the
"extras" that you list here.

Loadable fonts are a nice idea, if that means people from different
backgrounds will be able to use the editor more easily. But I
encourage you to make it easy to switch languages. If it's difficult
to switch languages, few people will use it.

Text selection (by line, or by region) and cut/copy/paste are
necessities. By "block" do you mean text rectangle, such as starting a
selection at line 3 column 10, ending at line 5 column 20? I think
rectangle selection is not necessary for a simple text editor.

> 5. Editor must be work in the graphics or text mode?

I believe text mode. Although if you use loadable fonts, it
effectively will be running in the FB in graphical mode, but it should
look and act like a text mode program.

> 6. Editor in what license type:
> 6.1. GNU GPL v2;
> 6.2. GNU GPL v3;
> 6.3. Apache license;
> 6.4. BSD license;
> 6.5. EULA.

I prefer Free Software or Open Source Software licenses, and certainly
for the programs in the "Base" list we prefer GNU GPL. Pick a free
license that you happen to like, something that guarantees the source
code will remain available to all. Since you give a list, I assume you
don't have a strong preference, and I would suggest GNU GPL.

-jh