Hi,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Ralf A. Quint <free...@gmx.net> wrote:
> At 07:02 AM 1/29/2013, =?KOI8-R?B?5dfHxc7JyiDuxdbEwc7P1w==?= wrote:
>
>>2. These editor must be only 8086 or can be 80386 (8086 machines
>>used only by nostalgy value by museum staffs)?
>
> IMHO, authors of FreeDOS related programs should consider to support
> machines as far back as possible. That includes the RAM usage...

This often depends on the compilers available. He's not said it
outright, but I assume he's dual compiling with Turbo Pascal and FPC.
There are inherent limits in both. Neither is (by default) a perfect
fit. And while I'm nostalgic for 8086 (yet never had one), I think
it's safe to assume 386 these days. But having an 8086 version might
be fun.   ;-)

>>3. Editor must be written on the Pascal or BASIC language? I
>>convinced that the C language is does not work properly with the strings.
>
> Looks like you need to get yourself more acquainted with C. Endless
> numbers of editors have been written in C...
> Beside that, it doesn't matter, as long as you can provide the source
> code with it.
> It's just that there are more "free" C compilers available for use
> with/for FreeDOS than for any other programming language...

I don't think he meant it as polemic as it sounded. Yes, C is popular,
it works, and it has a few quirks. Same as any other language, nothing
is perfect, workarounds are needed in some cases. It's up to each
individual author: "he who codes, decides".

I assume this is moot because he's already written his editor in
(Turbo dialect) Pascal. There are a few minor advantages to Pascal
avoiding range errors and buffer overflows, but yes, a properly
debugged (lint, valgrind) C app can work fine.

BTW, just to nitpick, I know it's easy to say, "Anything can be
written in C" or "Linux uses it, so anything's possible", but this is
a bit of a gross simplification. I've never cared enough nor been
adventurous enough to build a Linux kernel, but from what I've heard,
it's C99 (using its own pseudo OOP in places) plus GCC extensions plus
some assembly (AT&T inline?). This is not quite the same thing as most
people in FreeDOS prefer (ANSI C89 with semi-documented DOS extensions
and various 16-bit memory models). Same as "Pascal" could mean
different things to different people (ISO 7185, ISO 10206, DEC, TP3,
TP55, TP7, D2, D7, CP).

>>4.3. Inbuild cyrillic font;
>
> I think very few users will care

Maybe, maybe not. But if it's not there, nobody will care, or at least
if they do, they will use something else. I assume he's already
implemented this for obvious reasons. As an amateur linguist, I
welcome it. (Priviet!) No reason to not be more i18n friendly.  ;-)

>>4.10. Have a inbuild BASIC language interpretter;
>>4.11. Calendar.
>
> certainly not

Some people (Dennis??) like built-in extension languages. But I guess
that's for heavy text scripting etc. I don't personally use such, but
it could be useful. THE uses Rexx, VIM has VIMscript (or can use Lua),
Emacs has ELisp, etc. etc.

http://www.texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MacroLanguage

>>6. Editor in what license type:
>>6.1. GNU GPL v2;
>>6.2. GNU GPL v3;
>>6.3. Apache license;
>>6.4. BSD license;
>>6.5. EULA.
>
> Well, people in here prefer a "free" one. The definition of "free" is
> debatable though...

I personally think it's a waste of time to argue licensing. BUT ...
the most commonly acceptable ones are GPL-compatible FOSS ("four
freedoms") or BSD-ish (MIT) or something approved as "Open Source".
But even these have their own internal differences between variations.
I'd suggest GPL "v2 or later" or BSD 2-clause (or even MIT like Lua).
Those seem the most widely accepted. Though of course you can also
dual license if desired (like Perl, Ruby, etc).

P.S. I've tried many text editors over the years. By default I've
"stuck" with TDE, for whatever reason, which is glued into my brain.
There are many others with various features. It's not easy to choose
just one, but you can always use several (as I still do on occasion).
The more the merrier!