> Get up on the wrong side of the bed today?  Why so defensive?

> PC/MS DOS 5.x and 6.x will run in 256K with usable memory to spare.
> PC/MS DOS 3.x will run in 128K with usable memory to spare.
FreeDOS will inherently use ~60K more then MSDOS as command.com swaps
only to XMS or not at all.

> If FreeDOS
> is designed/optimized for a bigger footprint then that's fair, but there
> is nothing wrong with asking or trying to push the limits.
it was always assumed that XMS is plenty ( > 128K) available.

BTW: when I started with Freedos some time in 2001, I remember 420 K
free with just kernel and FreeCOM loaded. this leaves the kernel and
freecom using 220 K.

as most optimizations were 'use XMS to reduce low memory footprint'
this is mostly still true today.

> ...  I'd also reserve the use of "wtf" for situations that deserve it.
> Like, when a tree falls on your car.
point taken :)

Tom