On 1/29/2013 11:09 AM, Tom Ehlert wrote:
>> - An editor should be small enough to run on a 128K machine.
> FreeDOS will not run on a 128K machine.

Ok.  Then make it 256.  You get the idea.

I haven't looked into the source code, but is FreeDOS really that much
of a memory hog where it will not boot and run in 128K?  That seems
absurd.  We can debate how useful a 128K machine is, but DOS can't
possibly be using all of that memory.

>> - Calculator?  How many people do not have a physical calculator or cell
>> phone laying around nearby?
> you are right. but wtf will I use a 128K machine for if I have a
> iPhone around ?

Because some people are interested in old hardware ?  What kind of
question is that?  Why is anybody messing with FreeDOS in the first
place?  Let's not get into that discussion again ...

>> - An editor should have "journalling" to help recover the lost work if
>> the machine crashes while editing.  This is normally done by recording
>> the keystrokes to a separate temporary file and flushing them to disk
>> periodically.  In the event of a crash the journal file can be replayed
>> to restore most of the edits, and hopefully not cause another crash
>> because of a bug in the editor.
> yep. and run on a 128K machine ?

DAED and (the advanced version of Dewar's Visual EDitor) has this
feature.  It ran well in a 128K machine.  Journalling to a file is less
of a memory hog than undo is.

Here is a link: http://brutman.com/PCjr/downloads/daed.zip

> - A hexadecimal display mode.
> yep. and run on a 128K machine ?

Hex display of the current screen is that much overhead?  You know that
most of my mTCP applications run in 192K or less, and that includes and
entire TCP/IP stack ...

I understand your skepticism.  But running in a 128K machine is really
not such a stretch.  (Unless FreeDOS really is a memory hog. I'll have
to go see what it's using.)

Mike