FAT16 can handle a 2GB partition (4GB partition can be created with
Microsoft's FORMAT but support seems to be buggy)

The ~500MB limit was actually a 1024 cylinders limit (CHS addressing) with
older BIOSs. One workaround for this at the time was to divide down the
number of cylinders to keep it under 1024 and increase the number of heads
reported to DOS. Eventually we maxed out at 255 heads, hence the ~8GB
limit.