On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Andrew Robins <arob...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> whups sorry Dennis - my bad sentence structure. I never feel the need to
> defrag with Puppy, I use ext4 and ext3 formatted partitions with ext3 fs
> myself...

You were clear enough.  My point was simply that you couldn't if you
wanted to.  There's no utility to do it.  As mentioned, a goal of Ext4
is to support defragging down the road.

I believe one of Puppy's longer term goals is to support XFS as the
file system, but I'm pleased enough with Ext4.

> I meant that "when in Windoze - defrag, defrag, defrag..." a

In Windows, I use NTFS, and one reason is that it's more fragmentation
resistant than FAT.  I defrag frequently, but that's fussiness more
than necessity.

> habit I mistakenly transferred to my FreeDos install - and perhaps
> running DOSFSCK on my FAT32 sd-card will might make a difference. I was
> getting unusual behaviours that was otherwise not detected in tests I
> used from UBCD.

What sort of unusual behavior?

> Sorry to read of your browser woes - when my Firefox
> gets sluggish I switch to qupzilla (webkit Qt-based) in my Puppy
> installs - puts the fun right back into surfing.

The problem in my case is old slow hardware.  Like I said, a UDMA 4 HD
and a whopping 256MB RAM.  Current Firefoxes require a faster machine
with more RAM.  Small apps run quick.  Big ones like Firefox, Eclipse,
and Open Office are slow.

In my Windows desktop using XP, I have 4GB RAM.  XP for technical
reasons can only use 3.2GB of it.  I found a freeware ramdisk driver
that can see the RAM Windows can't use, and have a 768MB ramdisk seen
as drive Z.  I run Firefox from the ramdrive.  A startup script copies
Firefox, my profile, and the cache to the ramdisk when I boot, and FF
is run from there.  (A shutdown script saves changes back to the HD.)
It's *quick*.

I looked at Qupzilla, but I don't generally browse from the old
notebook machine, so it hasn't been a pressing issue.  (The notebook
is mostly a test to see what performance I can wring out of it
*without* spending money.)

> Cheers
______
Dennis