Be sure to check drive letters by actually accessing the files that
you know are on them. If your system has an NTFS partition -- or ext2
or any other file system that FreeDOS can't read -- the drive letters
will be off.

For example, my drive C: is NTFS and D: is FAT32 (both on a hard
drive). When I boot FreeDOS with a FAT 32 thumbdrive in the slot, the
NTFS partition doesn't show up, the hard drive FAT partition is now
C:, and the thumb drive shows up as D:.

Bruce

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Andrew Robins <arob...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Thanks cordata2 and Mark - no I've tried repeated reboots while ironing out
> the kinks in my re-install, chiefly to get my autoexec.bat working nicely,
> and while the BIOS detects the USB flash drive on bootup, no letter is
> automatically assigned to it (although I must test the ports at the rear).
> USB mouse loads automatically from the same front panel, however. I've used
> a FAT32 format with my FreeDOS1.1 install on the internal SD card - it
> seemed to be something the automatic install insisted on as I had problems
> with an earlier FAT16 attempt - and the USB flash is 4GB, formatted to FAT32
> on my Linux system (I have no Windoze to speak of now in my home, and even
> rawrite alternatives can be an issue). Thanks for the tip on 'rufus', but
> the drive is only for shuttling data files between systems. I guess I will
> try rewritable CD's for such a role "if pain persists", though I seem to
> recall that older hardware don't always read the CDs so reliably. Good grief
> - all my fallback floppies seem to be disintegrating too - trouble at mill,
> Cheers

 Sent from my meager, humble desktop computer.