Hi,

Have you considered DOSBox? It sounds like exactly what you are looking
for (ie. "a DOS window in a Windows environment). DOSBox is primarily
targeted for games, but it runs most programs perfectly.

The alternative would be running FreeDOS inside some hypervizor (VMWare
player, VirtualBox, Qemu...), but the performances, or general usability
will probably be much better running DOSBox...

Mateusz