Even though I did not personally try DOSBOX, I'm aware
that there are problems with 64 bit machines unable to
run 16  bit videos.
In any case the "XP Mode" feature in Windows 7 should be
the best virtualization (at least on the paper !) And if this
solution fails I' suspect others would not be better.

Let me clarify the scenario.
I've got two Lenovo 15" Notebooks (Thinkpad).
The former is running Windows XP SP3 32 bit,
the other is Running Widows 7 Pro 64 bit.
On the former no problem to run my DOS application
Without any "DOS utility". Also the "glorious"
Lotus 123 for Windows runs perfectly. All data are
perfectly tranferred/shared among all applications.
On the other PC none of the above are running natively.
If I  activate the XP Mode, the situation is as follows:
1) The DOS Application is running, but only in an
unsizeale small window, totally useless due to the too
small characters.
2) Data can not be stored/printed on any device "shared"
by the DOS task and the other Windows 7 tasks.

If I do not find any "workable" walkaround solution to
work all the stuff on a unique PC I'll be forced to
keep the XP PC at least for the DOS application and
use the W7 PC for all the other applications. In that
case the "file transfer" will not be a problem, but
this is a very poor comfort !

Best regards        Giorgio