let me simplify this some.
I just did this about three hours ago.  I have done nothing to the drive
where the file was, in an  effort of being very very sure it can be

recovered.
granted dos 7.1 does not have undilute.  dos 6.22 did, and I still have
that on a different drive.
I am not running freedos, and the broken factor you mention has me
wondering if using that utility is best regardless.
additionally I have the entire set of norton utilities for dos v 8.0,
the last full edition.
I have really slept since running ms dos undilute.
anyone have a copy of this?
its only one file around 125k in size, but it is profoundly important.
Karen