If you read the actual article, it was not a problem in DOS or the
software running on it, but later on:

"After the elections are over the results are loaded on a 3.5-inch floppy
disk and shipped to the canton headquarters where the disks are fed into
another computer that adds up the votes before sending the results to the
ministry. It was there that the problem occurred, the spokesman said,
adding that the votes that ended up on the disks were correct."

So the fact that DOS was used is completely irrelevant, though it is nice
to know it's being used. :)