Yes, I prefer to keep the software list somewhat controlled. The software
list should not grow too quickly, or it risks becoming bloated. But if it
doesn't grow at all, it becomes stale. I would be happy to add a Forth
compiler to the list, for those who like to write programs in Forth.

Of the three Forth compilers you mentioned, I appreciate that 4th is free
software (GNU GPL v3) and appears to be updated. DX Forth seems to have a
vague license disclaimer; the intent seems to be public domain, but the
author acknowledges other contributions in the package "may be subject to
copyright by their respective owners." I couldn't find a license statement
in CH Forth, although it might be included post-installation (I didn't
install it).

So I'll add an LSM entry for 4th in DEVEL.

Adding a Forth compiler in the DEVEL list doesn't mean programmers should
expect programs written in Forth to be accepted into the FreeDOS BASE. The
BASE software is core to FreeDOS, so these programs should be widely
maintainable, using a programming language that most other FreeDOS BASE
contributors are likely to use. We prefer BASE programs to be written in
either C or ASM. The preferred compiler for C is OpenWatcom, and the
preferred assembler is NASM. (See
http://www.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/FreeDOS_Spec)

jh