I can think of only 2 ways an engineer can get those speeds out of a
serial device.
A very fast clock or big external buffers. I think DOS could handle a
fast clock
but if they use buffers; DOS may not know how to use them like windows or
Linux.
I never used SATA so I can't say. You would be in good position to know.
As far as formating an SD chip; sometimes the format gets corrupted and
you need
to redo it. DOS just doesn't do well on the big stuff; no problem ever
with cf chips.

cheers
DS

-----
> from Actuate! Instantly Supercharge Your Business Reports and
> Dashboards
> with Interactivity, Sharing, Native Excel Exports, App Integration &
> more
> Get technology previously reserved for billion-dollar corporations,
> FREE

http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=164703151&iu=/4140/ostg.clk
trk

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052