On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/2/2014 6:33 AM, Dale E Sterner wrote:
>> FAT16 is limited to 8 gigs but FAT32 goes much higher. I kinda remember
>> Wikopedia saying 2T but could easily be wrong.
>>
> Excuse me?
> FAT16 is limited to 2 (two) Gigabyte with the 'standard" maximum cluster
> size of 32KB.

IIRC, the 32K maximum cluster size was a limitation in the format utility.

> With the 64GB cluster size supported by Windows NT 4.0,
> you could have 4GB for a FAT16 partition, but that is absolutely end of
> the line.

And MS had already implemented FAT32 to get around the 2GB volume size
limit, as hard drives increased in size and using FAT16 meant multiple
partitions, each with a different drive letter.

While you might be *able* to create a 4GB FAT16 volume using Windows
NT 4, I can't imagine why you would *want* to.

> There never was (or can be) an OS that creates 8GB FAT16
> partitions. And I am pretty sure that Wikipedia doesn't say anything to
> the contrary either...

It does not.

> Ralf
______