I see a subject line of "No subject"; I must have forgotten to copy the
intended subject line.

Going back to 2001, I used Enhanced Editor (EPM) in OS/2 Warp 4, but was forced
off this editor cold-turkey when the system crashed sometime during the
single-digit days of April 2001.

CHKDSK, running automatically upon reboot, ran amok and trashed my data, and I
was never again able to boot OS/2, even from floppies, it always trapped (000c
or 000e).

So then I used Tiny Editor (T.EXE) and DOS port of elvis in DR-DOS 7.03.  As I
tried to retrieve data, I ran DR-DOS from floppy and Iomega Zip 250.

Tiny Editor was more beginner-friendly, but elvis was much more capable.

I believe the vi I use is nvi, not ported to DOS as far as I can see.  NetBSD
calls it vi, while FreeBSD calls it both vi and nvi, hard-linked.

FreeBSD but not NetBSD also has ee (Easy Editor).

Gentoo (Linux) likes to use nano when I prefer nvi!

Tom