On 30/05/2015 09:08, Eric Auer wrote:
> Yet
> mainboards often have multi layer PCB and lots of tiny
> features, so you still have to be experienced to get
> them soldered properly :-)

Last time I did this, I went the easy way, and didn't de-soldered the
old cap at all, instead I removed all of its coating, to make appear the
two terminal leads still soldered into the mainboard, and soldered my
new capacitor on top of them.

This looks ugly, but works (and is much less risky than desoldering tiny
caps from a multi-layer, potentially old, PCB). Also, it provides the
advantage of not having to use capacitors of exactly the same physical
dimensions.

Mateusz