Thomas Mueller composed on 2015-06-04 07:20 (UTC):

> I've been unable to get my printer, HP LaserJet Professional 1212nf MFP
> working.

> Now I think it might be nonstandard implementation of PostScript or whatever
> command language.

Legacy DOS apps relied on drivers specific to them. DOS itself didn't
"support" printers, much less MF devices. It merely provided access to the
interfaces of the time, serial ports, and parallel ports. You could sent text
or text files directly to printers via these interfaces, but not "control"
the printers via postscript or other printer languages. Postscript wasn't
even invented until DOS had been around a couple of years, and even so, it
wasn't made available except in the most expensive of printers until quite
some time after invention. The major apps like WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3
relied on printer drivers written specifically for those apps to produce
control of things we now take for granted, like margin settings and font
selection. Character sets were whatever the printer itself included, usually
limited to 2 or 3 (fixed) pitches and line spacing choices of 66 or 88 lines
per letter size page, in your orientation choice of portrait or portrait.
Those that offered graphics modes were horrifically slow in those modes.

> Why would HP have hplip when other printer manufacturers have no such thing?

Marketing in part, but also because none ever emulate any printer language
other than its own, and the cheaper models typically omit postscript support
or any but one particular dialect from among the many of its own. IOW, it's
more complicated for mere mortals to figure out how to set up HP printers
without it, a bigger hurdle than with other printer brands.

> But can a laser or inkjet printer with standard interface work in FreeDOS?

What is a "standard" interface in FreeDOS? IBM/M$ DOSes date from long before
the invention of USB and the ubiquity of networking, IIRC only ever knowing
serial ports and parallel ports.

This question interests me too, as I just bought a new HL-5470DW printer
today to replace a Canon that provided no emulation of any kind. The new
provides Epson FX, IBM Proprinter and PCL6 emulations in addition to
Brother's own language, but neither parallel port nor serial port
connectivity. In Linux I'll be using it via IP, but it would be nice to be
able to use it directly from a DOS boot somehow to print old WP and
spreadsheet files with embedded Epson FX printer control codes.

Before postscript and HP's LJ* languages, the most popular printer languages
that I can remember were IBM's own, Epson's, and Okidata's. Epson's seem to
have become the most popular of those three, and continue to be included in
some printers made by manufacturers other than Epson, Brother in particular,
which is why I bought what I bought, and never consider buying HP for
personal use.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/