I'm going with Louis on this one. When installing FreeDOS, I'd expect
the installer to overwrite my MBR with clean boot code, so I don't have
any troubles booting FreeDOS post install. That's what MS-DOS did, and
that's what I expect from any OS in fact.

Naturally, an appropriately big warning must be presented before doing
so, and if the user knows he has some tricky configuration (multi-boot),
he should be able to select an option "leave my MBR alone please, I will
take care of it myself".

Mateusz