Hi Jerome,
Thanks a lot for the response.
I dd'd that image onto a hard drive. I could mount it and see DOSy looking
stuff. I tried to boot off it as USB and internal SATA and got the same
black screen with blinking cursor :(
Both ways my BIOS detected it as an option for boot. I've pulled EVERYTHING
out of the computer, only 8GiBs RAM, no video card. Could it be some BIOS
setting I missed? Does it get cranky about USB keyboards? It doesn't feel
like there are enough variables for it not to work.

Thanks,
Matt