Hi Rugxulo et al.,

On 6/29/2016 1:03 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Abe Mishler <a...@mishlerlabs.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/28/2016 7:55 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
>>>
>>> I would recommend you (also) test under QEMU if you're that worried or
>>> want (potentially) better stability.
>>>
>> QEMU, while about 10x slower (on Win 8.1 amd64 host), ran perfectly.
>> Thank you for the suggestion. Perhaps there are some optimizations that
>> I don't know about...
>
> Not sure about improving speed, esp. on Windows. There used to be
> kqemu for older versions (0.9.0?), but that's been discontinued.

On the page that you sent regarding QEMU Binaries for Windows, it says:
"QEMU for Windows is experimental software and might contain even
serious bugs, so use the binaries at your own risk."

Since QEMU is more mature on linux right now, I installed Xubuntu 16.04
LTS inside VirtualBox (5.0.24 now) and then QEMU inside of that. FreeDOS
is much peppier inside of this configuration. I will probably get
another HD for a native Xubuntu install and skip the VBox on Win 8.1
layer altogether.

Side note: Since VBox was updated to 5.0.24 during this thread I decided
to try a new installation of FreeDOS with it but had the same problem.

> Anyways, VBox itself is allegedly partially based upon QEMU, but it's

Yes, the VBox developer FAQ makes that claim:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ

> not true that QEMU is always slower. At least one thing I was running
> was faster under QEMU (+ Linux) than VBox (+ Win7), even without VT-X.
> But that could be because of many different reasons. Using VT-X (which
> for QEMU means using KVM variant instead) obviously increases speed
> even further.
>
> But nothing beats running natively (on real hardware).

You're right about that. As Ulrich mentioned earlier, he uses screencast
software to capture what he's doing. I'm interested in doing the same so
I think FreeDOS in QEMU on linux is the way to go (for me, at this time).

Thanks to everyone for joining the discussion and sharing your knowledge
with me. I learned a lot and consider my problem resolved. On to the next...

Best,
Abe