from dmccunney:

> And sometimes it's correct advice.  The computer world changes with
> enormous rapidity, and one area where change is fastest is web
> browsing.  These days, the push is to support HTML5, and CSS3, with
> current JavaScript.  HTML5 is a big push because the <video> keyword
> makes it possible to embed video without using Flash.  You still need
> a codec to decode and display the video, but the codec is part of the
> browser, and not a third party plugin.  CSS3 offers major additional
> capabilities in determining how sites look in a manner separated from
> their content.  And *everybody* uses JavaScript now.

> It's why I don't even try to browse from DOS.  No current DOS browser
> comes anywhere close to the support for current web standards that is
> really needed, and none *will*.  It's likely not possible under DOS,
> and  no one will expend the considerable effort to implement what can
> be done under DOS because there's no money in it.  People who can do
> that sort of thing expect to be paid for it, and who will do so?

I browsed www.rahul.net/dkaufman/  just for curiosity.  Last released version
of DOS port of lynx was 2.8.5rel.1, date 18 April 2004.

Last line of this web page read:
This page last updated 2 November 2006.

I also tried www.nettamer.net/tamer.html : looked like the same old stuff from
1999.

I checked www.glennmcc.org : latest Arachne is v1.97, dating to Mar 04, 2013.

I think it might be possible to produce a DOS web browser with support for
current web standards, but would not be worthwhile on an OS that distinguishes
between conventional, extended and expanded memory.

Writing a web browser is more efficient in Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and Haiku not
to mention Windows and Mac, and not many people would be interested in
web-browsing from DOS.

At this stage, my interest in browsing from DOS would be mainly to see if it
works on simpler sites, naturally not including any kind of online commerce.

Tom