From: Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net>

--===============4678110451875621953==

--Apple-Mail-01C479F5-70E1-4B79-8E97-33E3574504EF

> On Dec 27, 2016, at 8:00 AM, Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele <aheis...@web.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to freedos and got to this mailing list through this youtube video:

Welcome.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0sP1VAo0D8
>
> Where I wrote the follwing question:
>
> Nice video.

:-)

> I got that far, but I was really looking into whether one could use freedos
to format a harddisc and put freedos and kolibri os alongside. Got into some
problems with the last part. First kolibrios.org download is 7z format so I got
to download and install 7zip but it complained about wrong format.

There is also a version of 7zip on the FreeDOS 1.2 Release. It is not on the
LITE version and is not installed automatically with either LITE/FULL package
set. However you can easily install it using FDIMPLES.

> Than I realized that freedos as dos only supports 32bit fat not vfat which
would be needed to put the kolibrios folder on and to boot the kolibrios.img.
Is there a disc formating tool for freedos which supports making partitions
with that kind of format and would it than be possible to copy over the
kolibrios folder?

There are a couple of partition utilities. And a version of good old fdisk is
provided. It can create partitions for FreeDOS larger than 2GB.

> Final goal would be to make a how to get freedos onto a blank system format
and install it download latest kolibri os version and get it to boot from the
harddisc (not from the disc image) and use a partition with the rest off the
kolibri os applications on it.N++

> I am active on kolibrios.org a small assembler written os. It is not a final
product and therefore has no installer yet. One can use the disc image to boot
from or (the better option) make a bootable partition and put the kolibrios.img
and the extra applications into a kolibrios folder. Over the years this was the
main thing newbies complained about. That is why I am searching for a way to to
use some third party software to make a easier howto.

Sounds like a good idea. In my opinion, many new users just give up and move
on when they run into issues.

> I got to the point where I can run freedos and than encountered the problem
that I could not unzip the latest kolibri os 7z file with the needed files. I
than realized that dos does not support the bigger partition size than 2000 MBs
and the greater letter count than 8.3.

FreeDOS does support larger partition sizes. However, the if the FreeDOS
installer needs to partition the drive and can do it safely without user
interaction, it auto-partitions the drive using fdisk. When fdisk automatically
partitions, it just creates 2GB partitions. Probably for backwards
compatibility.

FreeDOS also has a couple packages that provided Long File Name support.
DOSLFN and LFNDOS.

> Is there a way to partition a second hdd partition like e.g. windows xp
would do (vfat) from within freedos and get the files from the 7zip onto that.
Booting the kolibrios.img should be possible with syslinux memdisk or the dos
bootloader from kolibri os.

> Anyway, great work you did on freedos! Getting it up and running with
network support in virtualbox was easy!

Thank you
--Apple-Mail-01C479F5-70E1-4B79-8E97-33E3574504EF

Dec 27, 2016, at 8:00 AM, Wolfgang ANdreas Heisele &lt;<a
href="mailto:aheis...@web.de";>aheis...@web.de</a>&gt;
Verdana;font-size: 12.0px;"><div>Hi,</div>

quote type="cite"><div><div style="font-family: Verdana;font-size: 12.0px;">

href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0sP1VAo0D8";>https://www.youtube.com/watch
v=k0sP1VAo0D8</a></div>

got that far, but I was really looking into whether one could use freedos to
format a harddisc and put freedos and kolibri os alongside. Got into some
problems with the last part. First <a class="yt-uix-servicelink "
data-servicelink="CDkQtnUiEwjjwqSatZTRAhVLpFUKHV2wCXwo-B0"
data-url="http://kolibrios.org"; href="http://kolibrios.org";>kolibrios.org</a>
download is 7z format so I got to download and install 7zip but it complained
also a version of 7zip on the FreeDOS 1.2 Release. It is not on the LITE
version and is not installed automatically with either LITE/FULL package set.
However you can easily install it using FDIMPLES.&nbsp;</div><br><blockquote
I realized that freedos as dos only supports 32bit fat not vfat which would be
needed to put the kolibrios folder on and to boot the kolibrios.img. Is there a
disc formating tool for freedos which supports making partitions with that kind
of format and would it than be possible to copy over the kolibrios folder?
partition utilities. And a version of good old fdisk is provided. It can create
partitions for FreeDOS larger than 2GB.&nbsp;</div><br><blockquote
type="cite"><div><div style="font-family: Verdana;font-size:
12.0px;"><div>Final goal would be to make a how to get freedos onto a blank
system format and install it download latest kolibri os version and get it to
boot from the harddisc (not from the disc image) and use a partition with the
rest off the kolibri os applications on it.N++</div>

assembler written os. It is not a final product and therefore has no installer
yet. One can use the disc image to boot from or (the better option) make a
bootable partition and put the kolibrios.img and the extra applications into a
kolibrios folder. Over the years this was the main thing newbies complained
about. That is why I am searching for a way to to use some third party software
to make a easier howto.
my opinion, many new users just give up and move on when they run into
Verdana;font-size: 12.0px;"><div>I got to the point where I can run freedos and
than encountered the problem that I could not unzip the latest kolibri os 7z
file with the needed files. I than realized that dos does not support the
bigger partition size than 2000 MBs and the greater letter count than 8.3.
partition sizes. However, the if the FreeDOS installer needs to partition the
drive and can do it safely without user interaction, it auto-partitions the
drive using fdisk. When fdisk automatically partitions, it just creates 2GB
partitions. Probably for backwards
provided Long File Name support. DOSLFN and LFNDOS.&nbsp;</div><br><blockquote
there a way to partition a second hdd partition like e.g. windows xp would do
(vfat) from within freedos and get the files from the 7zip onto that. Booting
the kolibrios.img should be possible with syslinux memdisk or the dos
bootloader from kolibri os.</div>

network support in virtualbox was easy!</div></div>

--Apple-Mail-01C479F5-70E1-4B79-8E97-33E3574504EF--

--===============4678110451875621953==

--===============4678110451875621953==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net