Hi,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 6:48 PM, Jerome Shidel <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> It is even worse than you suggested for Turbo Pascal compiled programs for LF
> only files.
> The entire built-in text I/O system can't go anywhere near such files. If it
> does, you end up
> with an infinite display loop crash.

But we don't have many TP-compiled programs anyways. And they often
have other problems as well, so it's not like this is the only
potential deal-breaker.

I mean, just off the top of my head, the obvious "problems" are:

* CR+LF only
* no long lines (strings usually limited to 255 bytes)
* no LFN support
* Runtime 200 bug

Sure, you can manually avoid or fix all of those, but it's harder.

The only real benefit to using TP (5.5 freeware or whatever) is very
small size (thanks to smartlinker). FPC, despite its own smartlinking,
is still slightly bigger (but not too bad).

Honestly, I still like freeware TP 5.5, but it's only for sentimental
reasons. Truly, FPC is much better.