Just replacing the COMMAND and SYS files won’t really give you 1.2. It would
just be 1.1 an upgraded kernel. Take a look at the software comparison chart
on the official FreeDOS software repository.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/comparison.html

<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/comparison.html>

It shows what is included in 1.0, 1,1 and the 1.2 variations. Also, it shows the
versions that are on the repo.

Since you probably don’t have a supported NIC in the dedicated machine,
you may even consider installing 1.2 via the repo CD. The CD image is built
automatically daily, when a package is updated on the repo.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/
<http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/>

The FreeDOS 1.2 installer will backup your config files. Also, if the new
system
directory (C:\FDOS), already exists, it will also backup and replace it. So,
make
sure you have plenty of free disk space.

However, that assume everything works as designed and nothing goes wrong.
I highly recommend you create your own backup of anything important.

The first step in that process would be to make a known good bootable backup.
Format a floppy and preform a sys transfer to that diskette. That way you can
easily boot that floppy and restore your kernel. I would also copy your current
autoexec.bat and config.sys to a directory on the floppy along with any drivers
you may require.

Also, please be sure you have good backups for any games you have. I wouldn’t
expect any serious problems. But, you never know. On top of that, a hard drive
can go bad or even completely fail without warning.

Jerome