> On Aug 12, 2017, at 7:32 PM, Pierre LaMontagne <plamo...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> (I know it's the same thing, but it's easier to me to only have to look in
> Sound for relevant sound/music tools than scroll through a list of hundreds
> of programs, even if sorted / ordered.)
>
> For me too, in fact I used that very same software listing that your link
> provides to build my own repo on my mainWin 7 PC in hopes to transfer them
> all to the FD PC via a USB Flash Drive.Now though, it looks like I'll have to
> resort to using optical drives instead.

The comparison chart cane used for a complete listing of software. But, that is
not its purpose. It is to see at a glance what changes have occurred from on
version to the next.

If you are just browsing packages. It is far better to look at the package
“group” pages. Like the Utilities Group page,

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/group-util.html

On that page, you even get to see brief descriptions for the packages.

> So, obviously, kernel and shell are supremely important, but the changes were
> minor (2040 -> 2042) or even non-existent (FreeCOM).
>
> Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by(2040 -> 2042) …

Those are some FreeDOS kernel version numbers. The current version is 2042.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/kernel.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/jemm.html

> Honestly, a lot of stuff hasn't seen major changes.
>
> That's what I've come to the conclusion of too, just wasn't sure if that was
> the case given the amount of time that's occurred between my initial 1.1
> install and now.
>
> And for things like compilers (e.g. FPC), the upgrade path is usually to
> delete and reinstall from scratch anyways.
>
> Compilers?In an OS?Way beyond me!:)I thought compilers were only used in
> programming languages, like Pascal, C++, assembly etc.… (???)

There are software development and programing language packages available. They
are some of the tools that can be used to create
DOS software.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/group-devel.html

> Yes, always have backups, if possible, but I don't think you need to backup
> literally everything.
>
> Well, I wanted to err on the side of caution (given my luck)so I tried to do
> the FD install backup, but for some unknown reason, the backup failed, the
> machine seemed to lock-up.Upon rebooting, I re-started the install W/O the
> backup option & had success that way.

It may not have locked-up, the progress bar can stop for several minutes. It
depends on how much data is being copied in each segment of the backup process.
However, it may have. It is hard to say. The standard backup process in normal
mode uses several xcopy and copy commands. There many different things that
could cause an issue during the process.

> I guess you could always cat or dd from atop *nix the relevant partition into
> a .img file.
>
> cat or dd ??Is that the same as "DIR"? (Sorry, you lost me here.)

cat and dd are Unix, BSD, Linux and MAC command line utilities. (ports are
probably available for windows as well).

dd can be easily used to copy a partition or whole drive to an image file. (or
the other way around as well).

https://ss64.com/bash/dd.html

cat is generally used to send the contents of a file (or device) to stdout.

https://ss64.com/bash/cat.html

> Or, for Windows, use something like this:
>
> Thanx, I ended up using a different util though to produce a boot-able CD
> from a FDOS 1.2 *.iso file.
>
> take up a ton of space but are also quickly updated / obsoleted, so it's not
> worth preserving them to backup, IMHO, without a good reason.)
>
> Again, for me, difficult to determine what is & what's not important.Space,
> for me, on that PC is not relevant.
>
> Is this an ancient machine?
>
> Not ancient, but old! It's a Pentium III/733mhz, Floppy drive, CD/DVD optical
> drive, 30gb HD, 4gb RAM, AGP video card (not sure what speed & how much vid
> RAM), & the USB ports (all 2 of 'em) aren't compatible, evidently, with my
> other networked PCs (I think, but not sure, it's a USB 1.1 vs. a USB 2.0
> issue. Or it could be FAT 16 vs FAT 32, again, not sure.For now though, while
> I determine the issue, I'll be using the optical drives for any DATA
> transfers..
>
> Why can't he backup to USB jump drive instead?
>
> Isn't USB 1.1 & 2.0 supposed to be compatible?My 2.0 flash drive wasn't
> recognized on my FD 1.1 USB PC.Is there a util that can list available drives
> like in in Win & in Linux?

There is some support for USB devices in the util/usbdos packages. But, I’ve
never messed with it and don’t know what things it supports.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.2/pkg-html/usbdos.html

> A good boot floppy can be useful, I'm not disagreeing.But overall it's a very
> limited medium for backups.
>
> Agreed, but that's what I ended-up using. (a boot-able Floppy with my version
> of *.bat & *.sys files.)

;-)