Hi, again!

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 8:21 PM, Patrick <patr...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:

> I spent quite a lot of time studying Ada. Threading/tasking is nice but I
> would rather wage holy war on blocking reads and stay single threaded. I
> like COBOL and C and which are memory friendly. FreeDos is very interesting
> and so far I haven't found anything I missing that I can't live without.

DJGPP still has GNAT frontend support. While it's not perfect (no
threading, deprecated gnatmake vs. missing gprbuild, few users), it
does halfway work. I don't really grok Ada, but I did rebuild
Gautier's 3D Engine a few times in recent years, for fun.  :-)

But FPC also has (Turbo) units (and objects, strings, low-level /
system stuff), (Delphi) exceptions (and heap-based classes, unbounded
/ huge strings, interfaces, properties, streams, inline functions,
etc), and lots of other stuff I don't understand. I think FPC has
partial generics support nowadays, but I've never needed it. It also
has its own (TUI) IDE, not counting (GUI) Lazarus (not for DOS,
obviously). Oh, plus smartlinking, inline asm, etc.

I'm not saying FPC is 100% provably better than GNAT, but just keep in
mind that it's fairly close in a lot of ways.